West Ashley Charleston Below The Crosstown Summerville
Wando Daniel Island Charleston Mount Pleasant
December and the holiday season are here!! The 32nd Annual Festival of Lights on James Island is a must. Of course, a few miles up the road at Brookgreen Gardens is the fantastic Night of a Thousand Candles. Fortunately, it’s more than just one night. Get your tix early. And there’s the Holiday Lights Driving Tour in Moncks Corner. Then there’s the Festival of Trees at the Visitors Center downtown. And don’t forget to have your collards and hoppin’ john on New Years Day.
Here’s your December calendar of events around the Charleston, SC area:
1: An Evening with Chevy Chase, N Chas PAC
2: Tree Lighting in Marion Square
3: Hanahan Tree Lighting
3: Town of Moncks Corner 28th Annual Tree Lighting
4: Town of Moncks Corner Nighttime Christmas Parade
4: Cirque Dreams Holidaze, N Chas PAC
4: Holiday Swing, Charleston Music Hall
4: Ranky Tanky Outdoor Concert, Visitor’s Center Bus Shed
5: George Thorogood, Charleston Music Hall
5: City of Charleston Holiday Parade
5: Under the Streetlamp, Gaillard
7: The Hip Hop Nutcracker, Gaillard
11: 30th Reindeer Run
11-12: Hairspray Musical, N Chas PAC
11: 4th Annual Ugly Sweater 5k Dash, Summerville
11: Charlton Singleton’s Holiday Spectacular, Chas Music Hall
11: 31st Annual Folly Beach Christmas Parade
11: Holiday Parade of Boats
12: Summerville Christmas in the Pines Parade
12: 26th Annual Christmas Light Parade and Festivities, Patriots Point
16-22: The Charleston Christmas Special, Chas Music Hall
17: Charleston Opera Theatre’s Holiday Spirits Concert, Firefly Spirits
18-19: Shen Yun, N Chas PAC
19: Candlelight Orchestra Christmas Concert, SC Society Hall
20: Christmas Classical Kids Concert, CofC Sottile Theatre
22: A Drag Queen Christmas, N Chas PAC
22-23: CSO Holiday Pops, Gaillard
29: Blue Dogs, Chas Music Hall
31: New Year’s Family Celebration at Kiawah
31: Flip Flop Drop, Folly Beach
Lots of great economic stuff going on in the Holy City:
- Charleston has been recognized as the 5th fastest growing city for entrepreneurs in the US. Linkedin News noted a 34% growth.
- Mt. Pleasant has landed the #22 position in the top 50 Best Small Cities for Retirement by SmartAsset, a financial information website.
- The SC Film Commission looked statewide and selected 3 indie filmmakers for the Indie Grants Program including N Chas local writer/director Craig Tow.
- April 7, Sun Country Airlines will begin flights Thursday and Sunday.
- Blackbaud, a locally based cloud software company, has made a 6-figure investment in local students by providing paid summer internships to Big Brothers/Big Sisters of the Lowcountry.
- The Boeing Company and Charleston County Schools recently announced a $1million investment in the MUSC Boeing Center for Children’s Wellness to include resources geared towards addressing children’s mental health.
- Six internships for the Teen Science Ambassador Program for MUSC have been made possible through a grant. Open to students in underrepresented STEM fields will run February-April and provide dinner, travel assistance and compensation.
- Barzan Aeronautical, an aerial intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance systems company, opens shop at the John’s Island airport where they will engineer and manufacture unmanned aircrafts. Operations begin late 2022.
The local real estate market is still doing terrific. The median sales price at the end of 2020 was fantastic at around $306k, it now stands around $350k. 14% is a big increase in one year for real estate prices. And while we set record sales in 2020 with almost 21k residential units sold, we will possibly surpass 22k in 2021. These kinds of numbers are true of most real estate markets. Charleston ended October with a 13% gain in transactions year to date versus the same 2020 period. But there would have been even more sales if we had more active inventory. The second half of 2021 has not kept up with the second half of 2020 due to this lack of inventory. While we still had around 3500 active listings during the 2nd half of 2020, we now have less than 1700.
If You’re Looking To Buy, Sell Or Invest In Real Estate,
Charleston-Mount Pleasant-Daniel Island-West Ashley-James Island-Isle of Palms-Sullivan’s Island
Keller Williams Charleston/West Ashley